Skip Navigation Links.


1974 Jensen Healey MKII (Green)

Windshield Wiper Assembly Restoration

Page 1

Ok, windshield wipers aren't sexy, they don't go fast, and I'm willing to bet that they will not be a high use item in your restored beauty. That being said, when you're doing a restoration, it's best to restore everything.

Complete 1974 Jensen Healey Windshield Wiper Assembly - Unrestored

Above you can see a photograph of the complete Wiper Assembly for the Jensen Healey. Now, Technically it's actually two distinct systems that work together. The first system is the windshield wipers themselves, and the second system is the washer fluid dispenser.

The exploded diagram below shows the components of the motor end of the windshield wiper assembly. I found this particular diagram (which is higher quality than the one in the parts catalogue) on the Stafford Vehicle Components web site. They have graciously allowed me to reproduce it here.

I'm starting with the Windshield Wiper Assembly. Generally you want to test all electrical units before taking them apart. Because of the simplicity and general low use of the windshield wipers I'm not too worried about it working and will clean it up, re-grease it and then test it under power. First step is to remove the motor housing.

motor casing removed

The casing is held on by two 7mm bolts through the top of the casing. Next you can pull out the motor. Underneath is the wiring and brushes for the motor. This piece is held in place by three #1 Phillips head screws.

With the motor and brushes removed turn the unit over to remove the unit's casing plate. It's held in place by four 6mm head bolts. With this removed you can now see the inner workings of the unit.

With the cover off you can now lift out the connecting arm between the gear and the rack. This also allows you to lift the rack out of the unit and set aside that part of assembly for working on later.

Removing the gear itself isn't immediately obvious. There is a small circlip on the rear side of the housing that holds it in place. It took me a while to find it as it was buried under 30+ years of goo. I zapped the area with a small wire wheel on my Dremel tool to get the grease and goo out of the area so that I could access the clip.

You'll also see in that photo that I'd cut myself. It's not a proper day in the garage without busting a knuckle. :) Once that clip is removed you can lift the gear out. Once out you'll need to dig out all the grease and goo. It's only when you have it out that the means by which the electrical connector attaches becomes obvious.

As you can see, the electrical connector slides and snaps into place within the unit. Carefully pry up the bottom end of the connector and slide it out from the unit.

Now that you've got everything apart it's time to clean it all up and make it pretty again. The motor casing on my unit was in sorry shape so it go a sanding and a quick spray of paint. After degreasing the casing as much as possible I used a cupped wire brush on my Dremel to finish the goo remove and polish it up a bit.

Page 1 Page 2 Page 3

Special thanks to the folks at Stafford Vehicle Components ltd. for the use of their assembly exploded diagram (which is better than the one in the Jensen Healey parts catalogue) and the Wiring Connections to the Motor diagram.

| More

Page Comments

Add A Comment

Your Name:      Rate this page:(10 = excellent, 1 = crap)
Your Email Address: We will not display or share your email address
Comment Title:
Comment:

Note, anything that isn't a comment (e.g. advertising) will be immediately deleted.



Contents copyright 2008, 2009 - Jody F. Kerr

All references to They Might Be Giants are fan references only. John & John I hope you don't mind! And if you're ever in Phoenix stop by for a visit!

Privacy Policy