In-Situ Project Planning
In-Situ project planning is the easier process, at least in the beginning stages. Because the In-Situ
process specifies that the vehicle must retain it's ability to drive, we know that the focal areas are
driveability, saftey, and function. The other restoration aspects are secondary.
So how do we plan the In-Situ restoration? There's many moving parts involved with the successful
driving of a car. How do you know what to work on first? Go find your questionnaire from the vehicle
purchase. That's going to be one of our starting points.
The first step in an In-Situ restoration (after the cleaning and inventorying phase) is to do a detailed
photographing and commenting session. Go around the car, photograph everything. If there is something you
know is wrong, grab your notebook and start taking notes. Your focus should be on driveability, but any other
items (e.g. it's got a crappy 8-track stereo) are also worth noting.
Now that you know what's right and what's wrong with out car, it's a matter of sequencing the work. The
goal of this is to enable the restoration of the car in small containable units of work.
In-Situ Project Steps
Below is the basic methodology that I use on In-Situ restorations. This allows me to continuously drive
the car while doing the restoration work when I can.
- Vehicle Maintenance Catchup
- This is the most fundamental work. It allows you to baseline the car as is, make sure that the
frequently replaced parts are accounted for, and provides the base step by which you'll measure future
- Fuel System Restoration
- Your fuel system is the simplest critical system. Because of this, it's a relatively simple place
to start. Additionally, once it's been taken care of you'll know that nothing but good clean gasoline
is reaching your motor.
- Carburetor/Fuel Injector Restortaion
- With the fuel system accounted for, it's time to make sure that the fuel is correctly being put into
the engine. A thorough going through and rebuilding of the Cabruretor/Fuel Injectors will ensure that
the engine's getting the appropriate amount of fuel, that fuel is being mixed with the air correctly, and
that you'll be getting the appropriate performance from the car.
- Braking System
- So, your car is operating correctly from a fuel management perspective. You've got some get up and
go in the car. Rebuilding the brakes will make sure that you don't go driving off into the sunset because
you can't stop the car.
- Charging System
- Now you can go and you can stop, but will the car reliably start? A thorough going through of the
charging system will allow you to have faith that the car will start. It'll also be an opportunity to
start working with the electrical systems.
- Electrical System - Engine
- Aside from the charging system there are a number of different electrical components, wiring and such
in the engine compartment. All of this needs to be validated, cleaned, and refreshed.
- Electrical System - Lighting
- In most older cars the lighting circuits will compromise the greatest amount of wiring and run the full
length of the body. Isolating, identifying and repairing this segment of wiring will ensure that all of the
lighting works for legal purposes. In addition, it'll minimize the final Electrical system phase by having
identified and repaired a significant amount of the wiring harness.
- Front Suspension
- Taking care of the springs, bushings, shock absorbers and the like as they relate to the front end
of the vehicle.
- Rear Suspension
- Taking care of the springs, bushings, shock absorbers and the like as they relate to the rear end
of the vehicle.
- Electrical System - Finalization
- Tracing, checking, and refreshing the remaining segments of the wiring on the interior of the car.
- Body & Paint
- Dealing with the body and paint segment of the project.
- Finishing the interior to ensure that it's completely refreshed.
Add A Comment
Rate this page:(10 = excellent, 1 = crap)
Your Email Address: We will not display or share your email address
Note, anything that isn't a comment (e.g. advertising) will be immediately deleted.